Flaky pastry is filled with fresh raspberries and jam in this easy star bread recipe. Served with Nutella dip, Raspberry Star Bread is the perfect decadent breakfast treat any day of the week, but will be especially welcome on Christmas morning.
Need an easy pastry recipe that delivers a big “WOW” factor? Raspberry Star Bread checks all the boxes, and you don’t even need to wait patiently as the dough rises.
Star Bread is a pastry with a flavorful filling in layers of dough that’s twisted into a star shape before baking. It’s looks amazing, and resembles a snowflake shape, but the best part is that it tastes even better!
SAVE THIS EASY STAR BREAD RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
I chose to make this star bread with a raspberry filling. Raspberries are one of my favorite fruits to bake with. They add the perfect pop of flavor to baked goods like these Raspberry Cream Cheese Scones and today’s star bread.
This recipe uses only a handful of fresh raspberries. That means you’ll have plenty leftover for snacking or making a batch of No Bake Raspberry Cream Dream Bars for dessert! You could even whip up a quick batch of Simple Raspberry Syrup to keep on hand for your evening cocktail.
But first: do yourself a favor and make this beautiful design and delicious star bread.
What do I need?
Here are the ingredients you need to make the Raspberry Star Bread:
- Puff pastry – We used frozen pastry, thawed overnight.
- Raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries
- Egg – For brushing over the top of the dough
- Raw sugar
For the Nutella dip, you will need:
- Half & half
How do I make this Raspberry Holiday Star Bread?
Start by gently smashing your raspberries in a medium bowl. You want to break them into small pieces, not smoosh them totally flat. Mix the crushed raspberries into the jam.
Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper, and gently place one sheet of puff pastry on the lightly floured work surface.
Spoon the raspberry filling on top. Spread it around with the back of your spoon here to cover the whole surface of the pastry sheet. Cover the raspberry filling with the second sheet of puff pastry.
From here you’re going to make the raspberry Nutella star bread.
Place a cupcake liner or biscuit cutter in the center of the dough. With a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut 16 equal sections from the edge of the cupcake liner to the edge of the dough. I do this by first cutting the dough into quarters. Then cut each quarter in half to make eighths. Finally, cut the eighths in half so you end up with 16 equal pieces of dough.
Twist one pair of strips toward each other. Pinch them together at the end to form a “point.” Repeat with the remaining adjacent strips to get 8 points on your star bread.
Beat egg in a bowl with a tablespoon of water. This is your egg wash. Then brush a thin coat of beaten egg and water over the top of the unbaked pastry.
Sprinkle with raw Turbinado sugar. Transfer the dough on the parchment to a baking sheet, and bake in the center of the oven until golden brown.
To made the Nutella dip, mix the Nutella and half & half together in a small bowl
Note: Unless you can specifically find round pastry dough sheets, you can use either Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry of Trader Joe’s. Pepperidge Farm sheet dimensions are 9.75” X 10.5” X 3/16”, and can be made larger by gently using a rolling pin. Trader Joe’s has a frozen puff pastry that is 10 ¼ x 12 inches and 1/16 inch thick, and would also need to be gently rolled to be made larger. Either option would work with this recipe. Then, when using the square/rectangular puff pastry sheets and before assembling the recipe, place a 10-12-inch dinner plate on top of the pastry sheets to cut out your circle.
You can also use pie crust if you want to use dough that’s already in a circular shape, but it won’t be as light and fluffy as when you use the puff pastry dough.
Raspberry Bread with Nutella Dip
Raspberry star bread looks and tastes incredible all on its own. But life is short, so go ahead and go the extra step and make the Nutella dip too!
All you have to do is whisk together Nutella spread with a little half and half cream. I recommend warming the Nutella in the microwave for 30 seconds so it’s easier to blend.
Do I serve it warm or cold?
Raspberry Star Bread tastes AMAZING served warm dipped in the Nutella mixture. We also loved snacking on it at room temperature.
Do I have to use store-bought dough or can I make my own for this star bread?
You do not have to use store-bought dough for this raspberry star bread. It’s just the easiest and most convenient option. If you have a homemade pastry dough you love, feel free to use it to make star bread.
Is this pull-apart bread a breakfast or dessert?
It’s both! You can enjoy the tasty raspberry pastries as a sweet morning treat or serve them as dessert. There’s never a wrong time to eat star bread!
How do I store this sweet bread?
Store your homemade star bread tightly covered with either aluminum foil or plastic wrap at room temperature. Store the Nutella dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
You can also make this raspberry star bread ahead of time and freeze it for up to 3 months! You will need to thaw it at room temperature or in your refrigerator before reheating or serving.
In case you couldn’t already tell, I don’t shy away from serving sweets for breakfast. The amount of breakfast recipes on this site is proof! From this Lemon Poppy Seed German Pancake to Apple Crumb Cake, I have dozens of easy recipes to make mornings sweeter.
For example, Valentine’s Day breakfasts are all about the chocolate! You’ll love waking up your family with a plate of Strawberry Nutella Crepes or Chocolate Cherry Pancakes. For the Christmas season, you’ll love this Eggnog French Toast with Maple Butter and this Easy Pumpkin French Toast Casserole.
Puff pastry makes this raspberry bread recipe so easy to make. I always keep a few sheets in my freezer so I’m ready to make all kinds of delicious desserts and baked goods on short notice.
Churro Cream Puffs and Cinnamon Sugar Palmiers are two more favorite dessert recipes with puff pastry. Boston Cream Puff Cakes are another hit in our household. And these Nutella Knots, aka mini Nutella Babka, would be a great way to use up any Nutella spread and puff pastry you have leftover after making your star bread.
If you like today’s raspberry star bread recipe, here are our suggestions for what to try next!
- Chocolate Strawberry Bread
- Strawberry Cream Muffins
- No-Bake Blueberry Pie
- Lemon Blueberry Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- Blue Raspberry Dream Bars
- 2-Ingredient Nutella Cinnamon Rolls
- Nutella Swirl Banana Bundt Bread
- Peach Scones
- Easy Chocolate Bear Claws
- Easy Strawberry Scones
Treat your loved ones this holiday season to a festive bread with layers of raspberry jam. This beautiful star celebration bread is a great recipe to share with family and friends.
Raspberry Star Bread
- 1 package puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- ¼ cup fresh raspberries
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup Turbinado sugar (raw sugar)
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 tablespoon half & half
- Preheat your oven to 375° F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, lightly smash your raspberries so that they are broken up into small pieces.
- Add raspberry jam to your raspberries and blend them well.
- Carefully roll your puff pastry out onto a lightly floured non-stick surface.
- Spread your raspberry mixture onto your puff pastry in a thin even layer and place your second puff pastry over the top of it. It’s ok if you have some raspberry mixture left over, you can store it or use it for another star bread.
- Place a small bowl or cupcake liner in the center of the puff pastry.
- With a knife, make 16 cuts from the edge of your circle to the outside of your dough with even spacing all the way around. Cut completely through the dough and raspberry layer. It’s easiest to cut 4 equal slices making quarters, then cut those in half to make 8ths, then again cut those in half to make 16ths.
- Twist 1 section of the dough towards the right and the next section of the dough towards the left making 2 complete twists. Join the dough at the ends by firmly pinching the dough ends together. Continue this pattern until all 16 sections form points.
- In a small bowl beat your egg with water and brush it over your bread dough.
- Sprinkle an even layer of course sugar over the dough.
- Bake in your oven for 20 minutes or until your dough is golden brown.
- In a small bowl, mix the Nutella with half and half to create a dip for your star bread. You can warm the Nutella in a microwave for 30 seconds if desired.
- Serve warm or room temperature with additional fresh raspberries and Nutella dip.