These Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes are delicious and easy to make, and as a bonus, they include America’s favorite cookie! A secret ingredient makes these cookies and cream cupcakes the perfect choice to add to your next dessert table!
Cupcakes are the ultimate party treat. Whether you’re there for the deliciously creamy frosting or the moist, fluffy cake, you can’t go wrong with homemade cupcakes!
SAVE THIS EASY HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE OREO CUPCAKES RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
These days, it’s easy to run and grab a boxed cake mix from the store and turn it into a batch of cupcakes. I admit it– I do it, and I’m a food blogger! But if you really want to impress your guests, these simple chocolate cupcakes with cookies and cream frosting are even better tasting and just as easy to make!
What Ingredients Do I Need for the Chocolate Cupcake Batter?
Here are all the ingredients I use to make chocolate cupcakes from scratch:
- All-purpose or cake flour
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Instant Espresso Powder
- Oreo cookies
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Vegetable or Canola Oil
- Vanilla Extract
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
You will need the following ingredients for the Oreo Cream Cheese frosting:
- Cream Cheese
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How Do I Make Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes?
First, line your muffin tin with paper cupcake liners. Set these aside while you make your batter.
Next, combine your dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
In a separate large bowl, combine your oil and sugar, then whisk together. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until everything is just mixed. Then, pour in the buttermilk and mix carefully until all ingredients are combined.
Add your flour mixture to your wet ingredients and fold everything together with a silicone spatula. Be careful not to overmix your batter!
Divide your batter into your prepared muffin tin and bake! I like to use paper liners, but be careful not to overfill your cupcakes; fill each container about ⅔ of the way full. I like to use an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop to ensure an even size.
When your cupcakes finish baking, let them cool for a few minutes in the tin, and then move them to a cooling rack. Let the cupcakes cool completely before filling and frosting them.
Now it’s time to make your frosting!
How do I make Oreo Cream Cheese frosting?
It wouldn’t be a cupcake without some deliciously creamy frosting!
We made cream cheese frosting for these Oreo cupcakes and decorated our cupcakes with a mini Oreo cookie and Oreo crumbs.
Cream your butter and cream cheese together, add vanilla extract and about half of your powdered sugar, then mix. Use a food processor or rolling pin to crush your Oreos, then add them to the frosting. Add more powdered sugar until you have a perfect piping consistency. Place the frosting in a piping bag, but don’t frost the cupcakes yet!
Do these cupcakes have an Oreo filling?
Let’s take that cookies and cream flavor to the next level by adding an Oreo filling!
When the cupcakes have cooled, cut out a ½ inch hole in each cupcake and pipe some delicious Oreo frosting into the holes. Then, pipe the rest of the frosting over the cupcakes and decorate as desired! Store your frosted cupcakes in an airtight container.
Why Is There Espresso Powder in this Recipe?
Espresso Powder adds a richness to the chocolate flavor in this recipe, so I love to use it. But feel free to omit it if you want!
Is There a Substitution for the Buttermilk?
I don’t always have buttermilk on hand, so this tip always works in a pinch: 2 teaspoons of white vinegar mixed into ½ cup of milk will create homemade buttermilk.
What if I Don’t Like Cream Cheese Frosting?
These chocolate cupcakes would taste amazing with our Chocolate Buttercream Frosting! Just mix a tablespoon or two of crushed Oreos into the frosting before decorating. You could also try them with our gooey Marshmallow Frosting.
Baking Tips for Oreo Cupcakes:
Learn from my experience baking many batches of cupcakes by remembering these helpful tips:
- Mixing Ingredients: make sure to mix the dry ingredients the best you can to ensure your cupcakes bake evenly.
- Eggs: Try not to over-beat the eggs; your cupcakes may not rise well while baking.
- Making Oreo Crumbs: Make sure your cookies are ground into very fine cookie crumbs for the frosting, so you don’t get chunks of cookies stuck in the piping bag. A food processor is super helpful for this!
Want More Cupcake Recipes?
Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
Are you looking for more cookie-themed recipes? After you make these cookies and cream cheese cupcakes, make sure to check out some of these other yummy desserts:
- Easy No-Bake Oreo Pie
- Oreo Cake
- Oreo Pudding Dream Bars
- Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chip Chocolate Cookies
- Funfetti Cookies
- Double Chocolate Toffee Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookies
Cookies and cream lovers will fall head over heels for these easy Oreo Cupcakes. They’re yummy on their own, but with a hint of espresso powder, and that Oreo cream cheese frosting they are a next level dessert not to be passed up!
Homemade Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes
Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour or cake flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ cup Oreo crumbs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Oreo crumbs
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- crushed Oreos, mini Oreos, Oreos optional for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 standard muffin pans with 18 liners (or if you only have one, line 1 pan then use 6 more liners when the first batch of cupcakes is done). Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the oil and sugar and whisk together.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat until just mixed.
- Pour in the buttermilk and continue whisking until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold everything together with a spatula. Be careful not to mix too much. Some small lumps of flour are fine.
- Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of batter into each cupcake liner. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes in the middle of the pan comes out clean. Cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting: While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. In a large bowl, use an electric hand mixer at medium speed to cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract, Oreo crumbs, and a little bit of the powdered sugar, and continue mixing at medium speed. Gradually add more of the powdered sugar until it’s all mixed in. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag or ziplock bag with a large round tip.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, cut a 1/2 inch deep hole out of the center of each cupcake, and pipe about a teaspoon of frosting into the holes.
- Pipe the rest of the frosting over the cupcakes and decorate with Oreo crumbs, regular Oreos, or Mini Oreos.