These Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are rich and fudge-like with extra soft centers and chewy edges. They are frosted with a velvety buttercream frosting and sprinkled with crushed candy canes. These cookies are perfect for all of your holiday get-togethers!
We are more than halfway through our 12 Days of Cookies, can you believe it??
I certainly can’t. I mean November absolutely flew and now December will too, as it always does.
Then we’ll be on to salads and healthy stuff. HA!
Not if I have anything to say about it!
Don’t worry, just keep your eyes on 365 Days of Baking and More for all the good stuff.
Yes, there will be “healthy” recipes shared in the months to come, but as I’ve always said, eat everything (including sweets!) in moderation and you’ll be fine.
But also, be sure to move that body – take a walk and enjoy nature while chatting with a friend, do yoga, start a gym membership. Move, move, move!! Besides, it’s good for the soul and will clear your head.
Ok, off the soapbox and on to the reason y’all are here!
Welcome to Day 8 of our 12 Days of Cookies!
Take a look at the holiday cookies we’ve been sharing!
Day 1 – Copycat Crumbl Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies
Day 2 – Linzer Cookies
Day 3 – Chocolate Dipped Orange Cookies
Day 4 – Turtle Tassies
Day 5 – Fruity Pebbles Cookies
Day 6 – Brownie Mix Cookies
Day 7 – Cornflake Wreaths
Day 8 – You’re on it!
Day 9 – Pizzelles
Day 10 – Bourbon Toffee Cookies
Day 11 – Peppermint Gooey Bars
Day 12 – Chocolate Cherry Thumbprints
SAVE THIS DOUBLE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT COOKIE RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
Why you need to make this Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Recipe
Double chocolate– first of all, this cookie is a chocolate lover’s dream. The cookie base is full of chocolate flavor, then mixed with delicious melted chocolate chips making these double chocolate cookies really satisfy that cocoa craving!
Peppermint– it’s the quintessential holiday flavor! You have it in your coffee, in your snacks, and now you’re bringing peppermint flavor to your tray of Christmas cookies! What better way to embrace the holiday season?
The perfect texture– I love good chewy cookies, and the peppermint candy canes add just that little bit of crunch in contrast to the velvety smooth buttercream. These cookies are a hit at all the holiday parties!
Easy to make– This time of year, we all need simple recipes. Well, these are the perfect cookies to satisfy that requirement! You can whip up these cookies quickly, and decorating (after cooling) only takes a few quick minutes.
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Ingredients
Gather the ingredients you’ll need to make these delicious cookies:
- Unsalted butter, softened
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- 1 egg, room temperature
- Baking powder
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup of chocolate chips, melted
Ingredients for Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
You’ll need the following ingredients for the frosting:
- Unsalted butter, room temperature
- Powdered sugar
- Whipping cream
- Peppermint extract
- Candy canes, crushed
What kind of chocolate chips should I use?
Everyone has a favorite chocolate chip for baking. You could use semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, or dark chocolate chips for an even richer flavor. You could even try white chocolate chips!
How to make Peppermint Frosted Chocolate Cookies
Prepare: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix: In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. In a separate microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring after each session. Continue until completely melted. Then, add the melted chocolate along with the dry ingredients and egg to the other wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
Scoop and Bake: Use a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop to place the cookie dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly and bake until 12-14 minutes or until set. Let cookies cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Peppermint Frosting Directions
In a large mixing bowl beat softened butter until soft and creamy, then add in one cup of powdered sugar and mix well.
Add peppermint extract, milk, and the rest of the powdered sugar and mix again. Beat for a couple of minutes with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
Place buttercream frosting in a piping bag, and pipe swirls onto the top of each cookie, then smooth with an offset spatula. Sprinkle some crushed candy canes over the buttercream and enjoy!
How to store frosted cookies
Frosted cookies such as these peppermint chocolate cookies require a little extra care to store. Store these cookies in a single layer in an airtight container, then refrigerate them. These cookies are best when eaten within a few days.
Frosted cookies don’t hold up well in the freezer. If you want to make these ahead of time, you can bake the cookies as directed, then freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When you are ready to serve these Christmas cookies, let them thaw to room temperature, then make the frosting and frost as directed.
Chocolate Cookie Recipes
Our favorite Peppermint Recipes
We have so many delicious recipes on this site that it’s not even funny! Go try some of these for your holiday baking experiments:
- Peppermint Chocolate Biscotti
- 3 Ingredient Peppermint Bark
- Peppermint Brownie Pie
- Peppermint Sugar Cookie Cups
- Chocolate Peppermint Cream Pie
- Peppermint Frosted Sugar Cookies
- Peppermint Blossom Cookies
- Peppermint Dream Dessert
- Double Chocolate Peppermint Kisses
- Oreo Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
Santa will be so happy when he sees these double chocolate cookies with peppermint frosting on top. He might even request them next year!
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ⅓ cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream -see notes
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- crushed candy canes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, then line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar until creamed.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20-second intervals to prevent it from seizing. Stir in between.
- Continue adding the vanilla, baking powder, egg, flour, cocoa, milk, and melted chocolate into your butter mixture. Mix only until combined.
- Use a 2 tablespoon cookie dough scoop to place the batter on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten slightly and bake 12-14 minutes or until set. Cool cookies completely before frosting.
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- In a bowl, beat your softened butter until it is soft and creamy.
- Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar. Then stir in peppermint extract, milk, and then the rest of the powdered sugar. Beat for a couple of minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add your buttercream frosting into a piping bag, and make a swirl on to the cookie.
- Sprinkle some crushed candy canes over the buttercream.