Chocolate Cherry Cookies are the perfect blend of chocolate cake and cookies. Juicy maraschino cherries are packed into every bite of these soft baked cookies for even more sweet decadence!
Putting cherries in your chocolate cookies is about to become your new obsession.
Meet Chocolate Cake Cherry Cookies. Part cookie, part cake, and entirely irresistible!
SAVE THIS EASY CHOCOLATE CHERRY COOKIES RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
Words don’t do these maraschino cherry cookies justice. The intense chocolate flavor, soft cake-like crumb and burst of juicy cherry sweetness sets them over the top. If you can’t decide between making cake and making cookies, here’s your solution!
I haven’t even mentioned how easy it is to make these cherry chocolate cookies. Grab a few staple ingredients from your pantry and you’ll be pulling freshly baked chocolate cookies with cherries out of the oven in no time.
What do I need?
Here’s everything you will need to make these amazing Chocolate Cherry Cookies.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – or substitute unsweetened melted baking chocolate!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Maraschino cherries
Tips and Tricks
- Blot cherries dry. Be sure to dry out the chopped cherries very well on paper towels, otherwise the dough will be wet and the cookies come out thin.
- Mix well. Make sure the cherries are well mixed into the dough so that they’re evenly distributed throughout the cookies.
- Use big scoops. Our Chocolate Cherry Cookies don’t spread very much when baked, so use generous scoops of dough for nicely sized cookies.
- Don’t overbake. The bottoms of the cookies will burn if left in the oven too long. The cookies will still be soft when you take them out of the oven.
How should I store the cookies?
Chocolate Cake Cherry Cookies are very soft and sticky. When storing, it’s best to separate layers with wax paper if stacking them. Store chocolate cake cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Can I chill the dough?
Yes, chilling the dough isn’t required but it does make the cookies nice and puffy! Cover the unbaked dough and place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
If you don’t have time to chill the dough, don’t worry. The cookies will still be delicious!
What buttermilk substitutions can I use?
Powdered buttermilk works well in this recipe. Add buttermilk powder to the dry ingredients and add 1/3 cup of water to the wet ingredients instead of the buttermilk.
Can these be frozen?
These Cherry Chocolate Cookies can be frozen after baking and cooling. To freeze, transfer the cookies to freezer bags with wax paper between layers. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Chocolate Cherry Recipes
Chocolate and cherry is one of my favorite flavor combinations in dessert recipes!
If you love the taste of these chocolate cake cherry cookies, my Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake as another must-try. It’s even easier to make than these chocolate cookies with equally impressive results.
Looking for a no-bake option? This No Bake Cherry Hot Chocolate Cheesecake is simply swoon-worthy. It’s like my popular Chocolate Covered Cherry Hot Chocolate in cheesecake form.
Don’t miss out on any of my irresistible and easy recipes featuring this dynamite combo of ingredients!
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
- Cherry and Dark Chocolate Galette
- Chocolate Cherry Crinkles
- Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Bread Pudding
I’m always on the hunt for tasty new cookie recipes to add to the mix. Here area few more favorites our readers love.
- Chocolate Spritz Cookies
- Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Crinkles
- Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Sugar Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- Lace Cookies
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- Fluffernutter Cookies
Now grab a jar of cherries and get baking! You don’t want to miss out on these incredible Chocolate Cake Cherry Cookies. Bet you can’t eat just one!
Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- 2 pieces parchment paper
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder See Note
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder See Note
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup maraschino cherries stems removed, chopped and blotted dry
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter on low speed until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add the egg, sugar, vanilla, the 1/4 cup +2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking soda stirring until just mixed. Fold in the cherries and mix thoroughly combine.
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, place rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared cookie sheets, spaced about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies spring back when touched.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram and make sure to follow me on Pinterest for more recipes.
Leave A Reply!