These Double Chocolate M&M Christmas Cookies are a festive and delicious treat. With plenty of chocolate from cocoa powder, chocolate chips and mini red and green M&M’s, they’re easy Christmas cookies perfect for holiday cookies trays, cookie exchanges and especially the guy in the big red suit!
There’s just something special about M&M’s.
They’re a great thing to eat when you want to feel like a kid again.
And they’re delicious.
SAVE THIS EASY M&M COOKIES RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
Besides, have you ever met someone who doesn’t love cookies with M&M’s in them?
I know I haven’t!
These M&M Christmas Cookies are Day 2 of our 12 Days of Cookies
Be sure to check out all of the other days for more goodies!
Day 1 – Fluffernutter Cookies
Day 2 – Toffee Coconut Oatmeal Bars
Day 3 – You’re on it!
Day 4 – Lace Cookies
Day 5 – Whipped Shortbread
Day 6 – Chocolate Spritz Cookies
Day 7 – 3 Ingredient Sugar Free PB Cookies
Day 8 – Wasabi Chocolate Crinkles
Day 9 – Christmas Sprinkle Cookies
Day 10 – Stained Glass Cookies
Day 11 – Cream Cheese Meltaways
Day 12 – Peppermint Sugar Cookie Cups
What do I need to make these Double Chocolate M&M Cookies?
- all-purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- semi-sweet chocolate chips – you can use dark chocolate chips if you prefer
- red and green mini M&M’s – you can use regular size M&M’s and even another flavor of the regular size to change things up a bit (think mint, peanut butter, caramel)
Chocolate M&M Cookies
Everyone is going to love these Christmas cookies!
They are super easy to make and this recipe makes 84 cookies, so they’ll be great for entertaining, cookie trays, a cookie exchange and gifting, too.
I know I certainly would’n’t mind if someone baked me up a batch of these.
Kurt and I ate quite a few of them for dinner.
Tips for making these M&M Christmas Cookies
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
It will help the wet ingredients adhere to the dry.
- Use pure vanilla extract if you can.
I know it costs a bit more, but the flavor is so worth it.
- I use kosher salt in this and all my recipes, but you can use regular table salt.
I use kosher salt because I like the texture, shape and taste of the salt crystals.
I think it adds some great flavor to all my recipes as opposed to table salt.
- Don’t over mix when adding the dry ingredients.
You want to mix the wet and dry ingredients just until the dry ingredients are incorporated because you’ll be mixing again when you add the chocolate chips and M&M’s.
- Change up the recipe and use a different flavor M&M, but use the regular size.
There are so many wonderful flavors now that you can really get creative.
Imagine using caramel, mint, brownie, peanut butter, etc.
Now I’m excited to make these again with something different!
- Know when baked, that the cookies will swallow up the chocolate chips and M&M’s.
If you want them to have more color, reserve ¼ cup of the mini M&M’s and 1/3 cup of the chocolate chips.
After removing the cookies from the oven, gently press 2-3 M&M’s and chocolate chips into the top of each cookie. Then cool on the cookie sheet before moving to wire rack.
Below is what they look like when I removed them from the oven and before I added the extras.
Of course, they’re still quite delicious, just not as festive.
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies – Ready in Just 13 Minutes!
- Double Chocolate Peppermint Kisses
- Root Beer Float Cookies
- Cream Cheese Cookies
- Pebernødder – a Danish Cookie
- Viennese Crescents
- Jackie’s Vanilla Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Coconut Cookies
No Bake Cookies
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies – NO Corn Syrup to Boil
- No Bake Peanut Butter S’Mores Cookies
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies
- No-Bake Chocolate Bourbon Balls
These easy Double Chocolate M&M Christmas Cookies are filled with chocolate chips and red and green mini M&M’s. They go perfectly with a glass of milk and are a fun Christmas cookie Santa will absolutely love and request every year.
Double Chocolate M&M Christmas Cookies
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 11 ounces Mini M&M's – red and green with about 1/4 cup reserved, if desired *See Note
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and prepare a baking sheet(s) by lining it with parchment.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix again until light and fluffy
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and M&M's.
- Using a cookie scoop or a rounded tablespoonful of dough, place onto the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for at least two minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.