These Peppermint Chocolate Biscotti make coffee time more festive! Chocolate cookies are kissed with peppermint and double baked to crunchy perfection. A white chocolate drizzle and candy cane topping make these ready for Christmas!
You don’t have to like coffee to love biscotti.
These crunchy Italian cookies are traditionally served alongside espresso, but they’re delicious with milk or on their own too. For an extra explosion of chocolatey goodness try these Peppermint Chocolate Biscotti with a mug of hot cocoa for dunking!
SAVE THIS CHOCOLATE BISCOTTI RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
Rich chocolate meets zesty peppermint. Is there anything better during the holiday season? This recipe brings these two classic flavors together in homemade biscotti.
If you’ve never made biscotti before, you’ll be amazed by how easy it is! So much fresher tasting than store bought versions and they keep well for quite a while too.
What is biscotti?
Biscotti are Italian cookies, shaped into logs and baked twice until firm and toasty. Their hard crunchy texture and light sweet flavor set them apart from your everyday cookie.
Some people dip biscotti in coffee (or milk) to soften them a little but I happen to like that satisfying CRUNCH! Either way, that association with coffee means you can totally serve them for breakfast. Anytime I can justify cookies for breakfast, I’m on board!
These Peppermint Biscotti make great gifts, too. Just wrap them in a pretty cookie tin and add a bow. The white chocolate topping and sprinkle of candy canes give them an impressive and festive appearance everyone will love.
What do I need for this Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti?
Here’s what you need for this holiday Biscotti recipe:
- all purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking powder
- peppermint extract
- mini chocolate chips
- white chocolate chips
- candy canes
What makes biscotti different?
Biscotti recipes are different from most cookie recipes, because the cookies are baked twice. A rectangle or log of biscotti dough is first baked in one piece, then sliced into long pieces and baked again. The result is a hard cookie with an extra crunchy bite.
The low moisture content of biscotti means their shelf life is much longer than most homemade cookies.
How do you store biscotti?
This Peppermint Chocolate Biscotti should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. They keep well for up to 2 week!
Can I freeze these?
This is one cookie I don’t recommend freezing. Biscotti will lose much of their signature crunch after thawing, as more moisture is released.
If you want to make biscotti ahead of time, you can prepare and freeze the dough before baking. Follow the recipe as directed for making the dough and shaping it into two logs. Then wrap the dough in foil and place in a freezer bag. Keep frozen for up to months.
Do I need to thaw the dough before baking?
No, you do not. Transfer frozen biscotti dough right to a lined baking sheet. Add a couple of additional minutes to the baking time and proceed with the recipe instructions as usual.
What can I serve with biscotti?
This Peppermint Chocolate Biscotti tastes great with all kinds of beverages. Here are a few favorites:
- Hot brewed coffee (with or without a splash of vanilla coffee creamer!)
- Black tea
- Hot Chocolate
- Peppermint White Chocolate Mochas
- Cold Brew Coffee
There’s no wrong way to eat biscotti in my book.
And personally, I like to eat it alone.
Not in the mood for chocolate (somehow)? Try my Cranberry Orange Pistachio Biscotti for another variation that’s full of holiday flavors but delicious all year long. This Citrus Biscotti recipe is bursting with sunny lemon and orange flavor that never fails to make my day better.
‘Tis the season for cookies, cookies and more cookies. After you try today’s Chocolate Biscotti, keep the oven fired up for more delicious easy cookies.
- Double Chocolate Peppermint Kisses
- Stained Glass Cookies
- Christmas Sprinkle Cookies
- Peanut Butter Crinkle Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cream Cheese Meltaways
- Spritz Cookie Recipe
- Peppermint Sugar Cookie Cups
Cozy up this holiday season with a hot cup of coffee and a plate full of Peppermint Chocolate Biscotti!
Peppermint Chocolate Biscotti
- Mixing bowls
- sandwich bag
- Baking Sheet
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of kosher salt
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 candy canes
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.. Add the eggs and peppermint extract, and beat until creamy about 2 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Mix in the mini chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Divide dough in half and form two 9-inch long logs. Place them 4 inches apart on the baking sheet, and pat down slightly.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on sheet, then on wire rack for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch wide slices. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes. Turn cookies over and bake for an additional 9 minutes. Cool completely.
- Break the candy canes up and place into a plastic sandwich bag. Crush into small crumbs with a rolling pin, or mallet.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl for 30 second increments until completely melted and smooth, stirring in between. Pour into sandwich bag, cut off a small corner. Drizzle over biscotti. Sprinkle immediately with crushed candy canes. Allow chocolate to harden for about 30 minutes before serving or storing in an airtight container.