This easy recipe for Banana Cake has quickly become a family favorite here at our house and I’m sure it will be at yours as well! Moist, dense, (but not TOO dense!) full of banana flavor, it’s topped with an incredibly easy and delicious cream cheese frosting. You might just fall in love with this perfect recipe even before you take the first bite, and it’s one moist cake you’ll be making again and again!
What to do with those brown bananas you ask?
It’s the age old question, I know.
Make my go-to recipe, and THE best banana cake recipe I’ve ever tasted, that’s what!
Seriously, you won’t need another recipe for a cake with overripe bananas again.
My apologies to all my blogger friends who say theirs is the best. 😉
Sorry, not sorry?
SAVE THIS EASY BANANA CAKE RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
I really think that if you were to put a slice of moist banana cake or a slice of chocolate cake in front of me, the cake with the bananas would win.
However, if I’m hormonal, that’s another story. HA!
What icing goes well with this delicious banana cake?
Cream Cheese, hands down.
While I’ve had banana cake with a chocolate frosting, and a salted caramel frosting, my personal preference is to go with a tangy cream cheese frosting.
I’m not gonna lie, chocolate and bananas are a REALLY delicious combination.
For instance, you might want to try my Double Chocolate Banana Bread, these Chocolate Banana Muffins, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, Banana Chocolate Scones, or this Banana Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake.
BUT, with that being said, there’s just something about a cream cheese frosting.
Not too sweet, and it allows the banana cake take center stage.
The cream cheese frosting walks away with my vote for the Best Supporting Frosting award every single time.
Besides, it’s pretty killer on these here cinnamon rolls.
What do I need for this cake made with bananas?
- This 9 X 9-inch baking pan
You can use an 8 X 8-inch pan, it will just take longer to bake.
- white vinegar or the same amount of lemon juice
Used to sour the milk OR you can substitute the milk and vinegar for a half cup of buttermilk.
- vanilla extract
- cake flour
Don’t have any on hand? No need to worry or run to the grocery store because it’s super easy to make at home!
Using the cornstarch to make your homemade cake flour will help reduce the amount of gluten in the all-purpose flour.
Sifting both the cornstarch and all-purpose flour together will aerate them enabling the dry ingredients to stick better with the wet ingredients.
- Optional – chocolate chips!
After the first time you make this amazing cake, add about a half cup of chips to the flour mixture to coat them so they won’t sink into the batter as it bakes.
Let’s make this Banana Cake!
- Pour the milk into a liquid measuring cup, and add the vinegar to it. Stir and let sit at room temperature for a minimum of at least 10 minutes. Then stir again before adding to the cake batter when directed.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Grease and lightly flour a 9 X 9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients – cake flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cream butter in a large bowl on medium speed with a hand mixer or electric mixer. Gradually add the sugar. Mix until light, about two minutes.
- Add the mashed bananas, eggs and vanilla to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- With the mixer running on low, add the milk and mix until blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla and the salt and then add the powdered sugar, mixing until completely combined and frosting is smooth.
- Frost that cake and enjoy!
Want more delicious recipes with bananas?
Can’t forget about dessert!
Bananas are the highlight of these easy, no bake Banana Pudding Dream Bars, my Banana Cookie Butter Ice Cream, this Banana Split Ice Cream Cake, and this incredible Banana Tres Leches Cake.
~ FOLLOW ME on SOCIAL MEDIA ~
~ FACEBOOK ~ PINTEREST ~
~ INSTAGRAM ~ TWITTER ~
SIGN UP FOR THE WEEKLY
365 DAYS OF BAKING & MORE
Keep an eye out for my newest recipes!
Theres’a something to be said about a delicious homemade banana cake. It’s a great way to use up those extra bananas with brown spots sitting on your counter. I think this will become one of your favorite recipes just as it has mine.
This original recipe is from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook Thirteenth Edition, pgs. 575 and 597; author, Marion Cunningham; publisher, Alfred A. Knopf, division of Random House; ISBN 0-394-56788-9.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- mixing bowl https://amzn.to/3PUktnG
- 9 X 9-inch cake pan
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 8 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pour the milk into a liquid measuring cup and add the tablespoon of vinegar to sour it. Stir, and let sit for a minimum of 15 minutes while you prepare the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 X 9-inch cake pan and lightly dust with flour or spray with a floured baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cream the butter in a mixing bowl, slowly adding the sugar. Beat until light, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mashed banana, eggs, and vanilla to the butter / sugar, and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and combine.
- Stir the milk, and with the mixer running on low, slowly pour it into the bowl and blend. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for about 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack. Then allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream the butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl until smooth and creamy. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times
- Mix in the vanilla and the salt.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until thoroughly combined.
This post was first published 2/18/11. The post has been updated in format, and the frosting recipe has been changed on 5/11/21.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
These are links that can take you to a product (or products) that I recommend. I do receive a portion of the sales or credit for my future purchases from any items purchased through those links. Your purchases encourage my baking, cooking and butter habit, and contribute to the life of this blog.
I thank you so very much for your support. Let’s keep having fun in the kitchen!!