Double Chocolate Banana Bread – that old fashioned favorite made even better with the addition of unsweetened cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Eat your bananas and get your chocolate fix at the same time.
Are you a reader?
I used to be. I mean, I do still read, but I haven’t sat down with a book since we were living in New Hampshire. So, it’s probably been almost two years. It was an older book sitting on the shelf of our furnished rental and for the life of me, I can’t even remember the name of it or who the author was.
Eeks, if my high school English teachers only knew.
I haven’t read 50 Shades of Grey, nor have I seen the movie. There was just so much hype about it, that I didn’t want to be one to jump on the bandwagon and read it because it was the “in” thing to do.
SAVE THIS BANANA BREAD RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
I loved reading as a kid. My favorites were The Boxcar Children and all of the Judy Blume books. Have you read any of them?
I remember when everyone was passing Forever around in junior high. It got so that those of us who hadn’t read it yet knew the steamy page numbers because it was all the girls talked about.
Ah, the good ol’ days.
And I love holding a book. I don’t want to read it on an iPad, my phone or a computer. Give me a fat hardcover so that I can hold it and turn the pages before heading off to bed.
Talking about it makes me want to go grab a book. 🙂
On another note, I had company today while photographing this Double Chocolate Banana Bread.
Winnie, my daughter’s cat, who you may well remember from her antics in this post was patiently waiting for her slice.
Surprisingly though, this is as far as she crept up on to the table. I think she knew had she put all four paws on, that she was headed for the water bowl.
My rule is that if she jumps on the table or the counters, I dip her two front paws in the dog’s water bowl and she loves it (said sarcastically as I could).
Enjoy the bread…
JOIN THE 365 DAYS OF BAKING AND MORE FACEBOOK GROUP TO RECEIVE ADVANCE NOTICE OF MY LIVE FB VIDEOS, SHARE RECIPES AND MORE!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 medium very ripe bananas mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 X 5-inch bread pan by greasing it with butter and lightly flouring it.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the bananas, eggs, melted butter, vanilla and rmilk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just incorporated.
- Gently fold in 1/2 cup of the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and spread to even out.
- place remaining 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips on top of batter.
- Bake for 55 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Bread is best and easiest to cut when stored in tin foil overnight and eaten the next day.
I rate everything I make on a scale of 1 – 4 and this Double Chocolate Banana Bread earned 3 rolling pins.
We liked it.
like love banana bread.
like love chocolate. I just don’t think I like chocolate in my banana bread.
The rest of the family really liked it and will probably want me to make it again which I will, I just think the chocolate overshadowed the taste of the banana. Try it for yourself and report back to me – I’d love to hear what you think!
I think I might just head on out to the library and pick up a book or two. Which one(s) do you recommend I read this summer?
If you like this Double Chocolate Banana Bread then you’ll LOVE…
This post contains an affiliate link(s). These are links that can take you to a product (or products) that I recommend. I do receive a portion of the sales from any items purchased through those links and your purchases encourage my baking, cooking and butter habit, and contribute to the life of this blog. I thank you so very much for your support. Let’s keep having fun in the kitchen!!