Cinnamon Streusel Muffins are soft, tasty muffins with sweet cinnamon and sugar swirled into every bite. Have one of these muffins with that morning cup of coffee to start your day right.
Cinnamon + Sugar + Muffin
Is there any way I WASN’T going to like this recipe?
Tasting these took me right back to my 6th grade Home Ec. class.
I took one bite and boy did these things transport me to standing in my junior high classroom with Ms. Rathbun lecturing us about baking.
We made A LOT of muffins in that class.
SAVE THIS EASY CINNAMON MUFFIN RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
Wait, you’re here for the muffins aren’t you? I’ll stop talking about my adolescent woes and get back to these beautiful Cinnamon Muffins!
Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
Reminiscent of coffee cake, these cinnamon muffins start with a simple muffin batter. The batter bakes up soft and puffy, just how I like my muffins!
Before baking, you top the whole batch of muffin batter with buttery cinnamon streusel. When you bite into the muffins you get that delightful cinnamon-y crunch from the streusel topping followed by the pillowy soft muffin. I can’t imagine anything better with my coffee in the morning!
Now that I’m thinking about cinnamon recipes, I think I need to make a batch of Easy Cinnamon Honey Butter this week, too. Oh and maybe some Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting while I’m at it.
Who wants to come over for coffee and join me?
SIGN UP FOR THE WEEKLY
365 DAYS OF BAKING & MORE
Coffee Cake Muffins
If you love Coffee Cake, then these muffins are the perfect on-the-go version. Easy to make and serve, these muffins have all the great taste of my favorite Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake but bake up in single serving portions, ready to share, store or freeze!
Coffee Cake Muffins Recipe
This recipe is easy enough to whip up first thing in the morning to have homemade cinnamon muffins on the table in well under a half an hour.
To make the cinnamon streusel topping: In a medium mixing bowl, combine the light brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. With a pastry cutter, cut butter in until it looks like coarse meal. Set aside.
To make the muffin batter: Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and mix until well combined
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined. It’s okay if there are still a few small lumps in the batter–you don’t want to overmix or the muffins will be dense and gummy.
Sprinkle the streusel on top of the batter, then use a rubber spatula to gently poke the streusel into the batter a few times. Pour the batter into a greased muffin tin and bake for 13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
Let the muffin tin cool on a wire rack for 5 – 10 minutes before removing the finished muffins from the tin. Serve and enjoy!
Easy Cinnamon Muffin Recipe Notes
- I made the “buttermilk” for this recipe with my favorite hack: whisk half a cup of regular milk with a little white vinegar and let sit for 15 minutes. The vinegar curdles the milk and works exactly like store bought buttermilk.
- These muffins taste amazing fresh and store well covered for a couple of days. They freeze beautifully, too.
- For best results, bring the eggs and butter to room temperature before using them in the muffin batter.
Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or SEE NOTE
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease only the bottoms of a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the streusel, the light brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. With a pastry cutter, cut butter in until it looks like coarse meal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the batter – the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Sprinkle the streusel on top of the batter and then use a rubber spatula to gently fold it or poke it in a few times.
- Evenly divide the batter between the muffin cups.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Note: If you do not have buttermilk on hand, use 1/2 cup milk mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
I rate everything I bake on a scale of 1-4 with 4 being the best and these Cinnamon Streusel Muffins earned 4 rolling pins! Served for breakfast, a quick snack or a midnight treat, these cinnamon muffins are absolutely divine.
These were fabulous, dude!
More Muffin Recipes
Maybe it was that 6th grade Home Economics class but I’ve always loved baking and eating muffins! Here are a few more muffins recipes that I absolutely love.
- Dairy-Free Pumpkin Muffins
- Banana Oat Bran Peanut Butter Chip Muffins
- Cherry Oatmeal Muffins
- Salted Nutella Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Muffins
Check out these other tasty and easy breakfast baked goods you might enjoy . . .