Cucumber Sandwiches are a must-have for any afternoon tea party! Fresh cucumber and tangy cream cheese come together to create a light, satisfying finger sandwich perfect for sharing over a pot of tea.
I have quite the affinity for sandwiches with cucumber.
*This post contains an affiliate link(s).
Some of you were shocked when I wrote about my long time love of Peanut Butter Cucumber Sandwiches. Until you tried them and realized how delicious they taste!
SAVE THIS EASY CUCUMBER SANDWICH RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
If you aren’t quite ready to slather your cucumber sandwiches with peanut butter, today’s cucumber sandwiches with cream cheese might be more your style. The dainty pairing of white bread and cucumber has long been a staple of the English afternoon tea tradition. In this variation on the classic, we layered the cucumbers over a delicious filling of cream cheese, lemon and fresh herbs.
Served on a platter with the crusts cut off, these refreshing cucumber tea sandwiches are full of flavor and satisfying but not heavy. They’re perfect for a quick light lunch or an afternoon party–with or without tea!
What do I need?
Here’s everything you need to make this easy cucumber sandwich recipe.
- Artisan white bread
- English cucumber
- Cream cheese
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Lemon pepper
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Fresh dill
- Fresh chives
We love adding a little Tajin (chili lime seasoning) to the spread for some heat, but it’s strictly optional. Some fresh chopped parsley makes a lovely garnish for cucumber sandwiches too!
How to make cucumber tea sandwiches
First, take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator. Let it sit on the counter top for 30 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
STEP 1: Prepare the cucumbers. Wash, peel and thinly slice the cucumber. Sprinkle the cucumber slices with kosher salt and set them aside.
STEP 2: Make the cream cheese filling. Mix the cream cheese, mayo, and lemon juice together until creamy. Then add the fresh herbs, pepper, zest and a little more salt. If you’re using Tajin, add it now too.
STEP 3: Prepare the bread. Cut each slice of bread in half and cut off the crusts.
Now it’s time to assemble the cucumber sandwiches!
Pat the cucumber slices with a paper towel to remove excess water. Spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture over both halves of a bread slice. Top one half with three cucumber slices. Place the other half of the bread slice on top.
Repeat until all the bread as been used. Enjoy right away!
What kind of bread is best for cucumber sandwiches?
We used an artisan style white bread that comes thickly sliced. Any white bread works well! I wouldn’t personally choose a bread with a thick crunchy crust, since you’re going to remove the crusts anyway.
What can I use if I don’t have lemon pepper?
If you don’t have lemon pepper, feel free to substitute black pepper. The lemon pepper enhances the fresh summer vibes in these easy cucumber sandwiches but they taste delicious with regular pepper too.
Can I use a different kind of cucumber?
We used English cucumbers for cucumber sandwiches with cream cheese because they have a thinner skin and fewer seeds. Any fresh cucumber you can find in the produce department, farmer’s market or your garden works well in this cucumber sandwich recipe.
But by all means, if you’re going to or have an abundance of cucumbers from your garden or CSA then use those!
How do I store my cucumber sandwiches?
Sandwiches with cucumber are best enjoyed right away. If left too long, the bread will begin to get soggy and the cucumbers will lose their crisp refreshing texture.
If you need to prepare the sandwiches ahead of time, you can make the cream cheese filling up to two days in advance. Store it tightly covered in the fridge, then assemble the sandwiches just before serving.
Dainty cucumber sandwiches are delicious, but we also love hearty sandwiches piled high with all the fixings.
On the sweeter side, you can’t go wrong with a Fluffernutter Sandwich. It’s a childhood favorite I still love to indulge in from time to time!
Recipes for Tea
Looking for more ideas for foods to serve with tea, along with cucumber tea sandwiches? These other finger foods are perfect additions to your tea tray.
- Strawberry Scones
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Scones
- Blood Orange Marmalade Scones
- Lace Cookies
- Whipped Shortbread
- Cranberry Orange Pistachio Biscotti
- Lemon Curd
- Cinnamon Sugar Palmiers
- Citrus Biscotti
- English Muffin Bread
Fresh cucumber, seasoned cream cheese make these fun finger sandwiches the perfect accompaniment to a pot of tea.
- citrus juicer
- cutting board
- vegetable peeler
- paring knife
- paper towels
- mixing bowl
- hand mixer
- serrated bread knife
- 1 loaf of artisan white bread
- 1 English cucumber
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons real mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper can use black pepper, if desired
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped chives
- ¼ teaspoon Tajin optional
- flat leaf parsley optional garnish
- Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator and allow it to soften for at least 30 minutes before starting.
- Wash, peel and slice the English cucumber. Place the cucumber slices on a dry paper towel and sprinkle them lightly with kosher salt. Set aside while you prepare the cream cheese mixture.
- To make the sandwich filling, place the softened block of cream cheese, mayonnaise, and lemon juice in a medium mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, blend on low speed for about one minute until mixture is creamy.
- Add the lemon pepper, garlic powder, salt, lemon zest, fresh dill, fresh chives, and the optional ¼ teaspoon of Tajin. Mix on low speed until all ingredients are well combined.
- Place the mixture into the refrigerator while you prepare the bread for the sandwiches.
- Using a bread knife, cut the crust off each piece of bread. Then cut each piece of bread in half.
- With a paper towel, gently pat the cucumber slice dry that had been previously set aside and remove the cream cheese spread from the refrigerator.
- To assemble, take two pieces of bread and spread the cream cheese mixture on one side of each piece using a butter knife. Layer one piece of bread with 3 cucumber slices. Top with another piece of bread to complete the sandwich. Repeat until all sandwiches are assembled.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites as well as ShareASale.
These are links that can take you to a product (or products) that I recommend. I do receive a portion of the sales or credit for my future purchases from any items purchased through those links. Your purchases encourage my baking, cooking and butter habit, and contribute to the life of this blog. I thank you so very much for your support. Let’s keep having fun in the kitchen!!