Caramel Apple French Toast Bake – enjoy the tastes of Fall for breakfast with this great combination of baked French toast, apples, caramel sauce, with a cinnamon streusel topping! Mornings around the table will never be the same!
Sometimes you just need something really yummy for breakfast.
Ok, maybe there’s more than just sometimes.
Breakfast is a favorite meal at our house and at least once a week we have it for dinner.
And if we go to a restaurant that serves breakfast all day, you can bet your sweet bippy that that’s what I’m having!
SAVE THIS FRENCH TOAST RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
So, without further adieu, I present to you this Caramel Apple French Toast Bake.
JOIN THE 365 DAYS OF BAKING AND MORE FACEBOOK GROUP TO RECEIVE ADVANCE NOTICE OF MY LIVE FB VIDEOS, SHARE RECIPES AND MORE!
- 1 day old loaf French Bread cut into one inch cubes
- 2 apples peeled, cored and chopped (I used 4 because they were small)
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup caramel sundae topping plus additional for drizzling
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick 8 tablespoons cold butter
- Spray an 9 X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- In a medium bowl, toss the chopped apples with the lemon juice.
- Add the apples to the cinnamon sugar mixture and toss to coat
- Place the bread cubes and apples into a large bowl and lightly toss. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, sugar and vanilla.
- Evenly pour mixture over the bread and apples. I find it easiest to use a ladle for this.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place into refrigerator to sit overnight.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, light brown sugar, and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or two forks, cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Place mixture into a plastic bag. Seal and refrigerate overnight. This step can also be done in the morning before placing baking dish into the oven - whichever you find is easiest.
- The next morning...
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Evenly drizzle the 1/3 cup caramel topping over the contents.
- Sprinkle the Streusel topping evenly on top.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes depending on the desired outcome. 45 minutes will yield a softer, soggier result, and about an hour will be more firm.
- Drizzle with additional caramel topping before serving, if desired.
I rate everything I make on a scale of 1 -4 and this Caramel Apple French Toast Bake earned 3 1/2 rolling pins.
I am absolutely in love with the fact that I can make a breakfast dish the night before and pop it into the oven with little prep the next morning AND I know the whole family’s going to love it.
This dish is another one that will be added to our regular menu. I’ll be serving this all year round, not just during the Fall! Or maybe it could be one of those “special” dishes that mom only makes at a certain time of year. This way they’ll be looking forward to it three out of the four seasons.
If you like this, then you’re sure to LOVE…