Put a fun twist on the classic Rice Krispie® Treat recipe by adding a party cake mix, and you’ll get these scrumptious Funfetti Rice Krispie Bars! Everything feels like a party when you add Funfetti cake mix, don’t you think? These gooey cereal treats are perfect for your next birthday party or just for a fun snack!
I love that these cereal treat desserts are so easy to make! Since these are made on the stovetop, there’s no oven to turn on (gotta love that, right?), and they’re done and ready to eat just as your family realizes you’re making them!
SAVE THIS CAKE BATTER RICE KRISPIE TREATS RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
Everyone LOVES a good Rice Krispies treat, am I right? There are so many different ways to make them and so many wonderful flavor variations. I have quite a few that you’ll see below.
I’ve never met someone who doesn’t like this chewy and crunchy treat.
What ingredients do I need for Funfetti Rice Krispies?
If you’ve ever made regular Rice Krispie Treats before, you probably know you only need a few simple ingredients. Luckily, this recipe just adds two more ingredients to the standard recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 10-ounce bag of marshmallows (I prefer to use the mini marshmallows, but you can use regular ones too)
- 1 ½ cups Funfetti cake box mix
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
How to make Birthday Cake Batter Rice Krispie Bars
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick spray and set it aside.
- In a large non-stick pot, melt butter and marshmallows over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce to low heat and stir the dry cake mix into the marshmallow mixture until just combined.
- Add half of the Rice Krispies and half of the sprinkles. Stir well. Then add the remaining cereal and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly in the pan. Take the remaining sprinkles and spread them over the top of the cereal treats, then press them lightly into the bars.
- Let these bars cool to room temperature before slicing and serving. It’s easiest to cut them when they’re completely cooled.
I don’t remember who taught me this tip, but it’s life-changing if you make Rice Krispie treats often:
- When spreading the cereal mixture into the pan, wet your (clean) hands with cold water, then use them to push the cereal down into the pan evenly. The cold water keeps your hands from sticking to the marshmallow, and you won’t have to fight with a sticky spoon or spatula either! I don’t know why it works, but it does! You can also use a bit of butter on your hands, if you prefer.
- Instead of using a stovetop, you can place the butter and marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it on high for 3 minutes in the microwave, stirring halfway through and then at the end, until the mixture is smooth. Then proceed to mix in the cereal and sprinkles as directed in the recipe.
Add-ins and variations
These treats are perfectly sweet as-is, but you could make them extra special with a few additions:
When adding the last half of the cereal, stir in a cup of white chocolate chips.
Alternately, melt white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl, then drizzle the chocolate over the top of the finished Krispie Bars. You can even use some food coloring to mix in with the white chocolate chips.
Use your favorite themed sprinkles to match your birthday party theme! Check the baking aisle in your local grocery store, Amazon or stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or even HomeGoods for fun sprinkles!
How to store leftover Cake Batter Rice Krispie Bars
These crispy treats can be stored at room temperature for up to a week. Of course, ours never last that long since we eat them all up in a few days! They stay fresh if stored in an airtight container or zip-top bag.
Should I refrigerate these Funfetti Rice Krispie Treats?
It’s best to avoid refrigerating these bars. They harden when cold and are difficult to slice. They taste best at room temperature.
Try these other Rice Krispie Treat recipes!
I love making variations of Rice Krispies. Here are some of my favorites:
Circus Animal Cookie Rice Krispie Treats combine two of my favorite treats into one bar! These super-sweet bars are perfect for a birthday party or indulging your sweet tooth!
Reese’s Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are a fantastic blend of chocolate and peanut butter, dotted with my favorite Reese’s candies on top of the gooey rice cereal treats. You’ve got to make these!
Lemon fans will love my Lemon Meringue Rice Krispie Treats. Your classic marshmallow cereal treats are topped with homemade lemon curd and fresh meringue. Amazing!
Double the marshmallow and add some chocolate for summery S’mores Rice Krispie Treats. You don’t need a campfire to enjoy these sweet treats!
Oreo Peppermint Rice Krispies Treats make the holidays extra sweet! I love peppermint and Oreos, so the combination of both together hits just right!
And if you’re a churro lover, these Cinnamon Rice Krispies Treats are for you. They really do taste like a churro without all the work.
Cake Batter Recipes and Funfetti Recipes
There are so many fun ways to use a cake mix for that cake batter taste! Try one of these recipes next time:
- Cake Batter Ice Cream
- White Chocolate Cake Batter Cookies
- Funfetti Cookies
- Easy Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
- Easy Funfetti Puppy Chow
~ FOLLOW ME ~
~ FACEBOOK ~ PINTEREST ~
~ INSTAGRAM ~ TWITTER ~
~ YOUTUBE ~
Keep an eye out for more of my easy recipes each week!
Funfetti Rice Krispie Treats
- 8 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 1 ½ cups Funfetti Cake Mix
- 6 cups Rice Krispies® cereal
- 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- Prepare a 9 X 13-inch baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and marshmallows over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and stir in cake mix until just combined.
- Add half of the Rice Krispies and 1 tablespoon sprinkles. Mix well. Add remaining cereal and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour contents into prepared baking dish and spread evenly in the pan. Sprinkle remaining tablespoon of sprinkles over the top and press them lightly into the bars.
- Allow bars to cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.
This post was originally published March 24, 2012. It has been updated in format and with pictures on September 8, 2023.