Orange Cranberry Coffee Cake – a simple and easy coffee cake made with fresh orange juice and zest, and fresh cranberries. It’s a perfect breakfast treat for a chilly Fall morning with your cup of coffee or tea.
I can’t resist the flavors of Fall.
And I go absolutely bonkers when I see that fresh cranberries have finally made their seasonal debut in stores.
There’s just something about them. I grew up loving the cranberry sauce in cans, but since my palate has expanded as I’ve gotten older, I’m all over using them whenever I get the chance.
This year I’ll definitely be putting bags of them into my freezer so that we can enjoy them at least until summer!
Who’s with me?
SAVE THIS COFFEE CAKE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
This coffee cake is just too hard to resist and I know I’ll be making it every year. It will also make a great gift for your neighbors!
So, just a piece of advice…make sure that when you’re baking, you make sure that you bake it until your item is FULLY cooked by testing with a toothpick or cake tester AND that you adequately grease and/or flour your baking pan(s).
Yeah…. because this will happen.
See, even though I’m a food blogger doesn’t mean I don’t have screw ups! 🙂
JOIN THE 365 DAYS OF BAKING AND MORE FACEBOOK GROUP TO RECEIVE ADVANCE NOTICE OF MY LIVE FB VIDEOS, SHARE RECIPES AND MORE!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- juice of half an orange plus more if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8 X 8-inch baking pan by buttering the sides and lining the bottom with a square of parchment. Butter the parchment as well.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cranberries and orange zest.
- With a rubber spatula, blend in the room temperature flour. The mixture will begin to resemble coarse meal as it is mixed.
- Mix in the egg, milk and fresh orange juice and combine until well blended.
- Pour batter into the pan.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese.
- Add the vanilla, orange juice and orange zest. beat until well combined.
- Add the confectioner's sugar and mix thoroughly.
- If the consistency is too thick to drizzle over the cake, add a touch more orange juice. If too thin, add more confectioners' sugar.
- Drizzle the glaze over the coffee cake and serve.
I think you’re going to like how easily this coffee cake comes together and it only needs to bake for 20 – 25 minutes. It can be on your breakfast table in no time! The flavors perfect, too for the holidays and beyond!
If you like this, you’ll LOVE…