Creamy Tomato Basil Soup – tomato soup with fresh carrots and celery made creamy with milk and heavy cream. Top it with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon and you have the perfect soup for a cold Fall day!
I’m starting to shake, and have hallucinations of baked goods, pot roasts, and homemade meatballs!!!
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil garlic and oregano
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes with basil garlic and oregano
- 2 14 ounce cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk I used whole
- 1 1/2 cups 5 stalks celery, diced fine
- 1 1/2 cups about 5 medium carrots, diced fine
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Crumbled cooked bacon for topping
In a large pot, combine the cans of tomatoes, chicken broth, cream, milk, celery, carrots, and onion.
Cook on medium high, covered, for 30 minutes.
Then turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes more.
Remove from heat and add basil and oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
Serve, topped with grated Parmesan and crumbled bacon.
Um…Lynne being Lynne, take TWO!
Next time I make it, I’ll use my emulsion blender to smooth everything out.