Sometimes there are days when you just want to say…
SAVE THIS AVGOLEMONO SOUP RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- pepper to taste
- 3 eggs room temperature
- Juice of two lemons
- In a small bowl, combine tarragon, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Spread over chicken breasts to season.
- I cooked the chicken in our George Foreman Grill for about 7 minutes. You could also prepare the chicken in a skillet on medium-high until fully cooked.
- Separate eggs, putting yolks in a small bowl and the whites into a medium mixing bowl. Beat yolks.
- Beat whites until light and fluffy. Set both aside.
- With two forks, shred the chicken breasts and put into a bowl; set aside.
- Pour chicken broth into a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add orzo and cook for two minutes less than the required cooking time.
- Add chicken and pepper to the pan and cook contents for another two minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- With a whisk, begin whisking the egg whites as you slowly pour the egg yolks in.
- Continue whisking as you slowly add the lemon juice, emulsifying the mixture.
- Add about 1 cup of just the broth from the heated pan to the eggs.
- Add the lemon/egg mixture to the soup, and add pepper to taste.
- Gently shake the pot instead of wanting to stir, as this was suggested by a true Greek.
- Heat over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes without covering.
- Serve into bowls.
|I forgot to add the pepper earlier, so I added it here. and it mixed in as I served the soup.|
Ladle into bowls and serve.