Refresh yourself on hot summer days by dreaming of an escape to the tropics with this Blue Ocean drink recipe. It was my favorite drink during our Alaska cruise, and I think it will quickly become a favorite of yours, too!
There’s nothing like having a refreshing drink while you’re on vacation. Am I right? One of the drinks I enjoyed immensely during our cruise (besides my all-time favorite Mojito) was this Blue Ocean drink. It’s a frozen Pina Colada with Blue Curaçao, and it’s tremendous!
I had to recreate this tasty drink when I returned home because one, I don’t have many drink recipes on the blog, and two, wanted to always remember the fun we had during our trip.
SAVE THIS BLUE OCEAN COCKTAIL RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
What does Blue Curaçao taste like?
Blue Curaçao liqueur is flavored with a fruit called a laraha, which is a citrus fruit grown on the island of Curaçao. It has a sweet orange peel flavor and finishes with a slightly bitter note at the end. Blue curacao just has some added dye for that bright blue color.
Tips for making this Blue Ocean Drink Recipe
- This drink can be made using either white or dark rum.
- It can also be made with or without ice cubes, but I prefer it frozen.
- Use a large spoon when assembling, but not one that is so large that it won’t fit into the glass. The larger the spoon the better it will displace the Pina Colada mixture over the Blue Curaçao.
- Make these sweet drinks even more fun and festive by garnishing it with a fresh pineapple wedge, cherries, and one of those pretty cocktail umbrellas.
Blue Ocean Cocktail Ingredients
There are just five ingredients needed to make one of these tropical cocktails:
- 1 ounce Blue Curaçao
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 3 ounces of white or dark rum
- ¾ cup pineapple juice
- 1 ½-2 cups of ice
How to make a Blue Ocean Drink
This ocean water cocktail is super easy to make and will serve you and a friend!
- First, divide the Curaçao evenly between two glasses.
- In a blender, combine the coconut cream, rum, pineapple juice, and ice and blend until smooth.
- Place a large spoon into the glass of Curaçao. Place the tip just over the Blue Curaçao and make sure the back is up against the glass. Gently pour half of the Pina Colada mixture over the spoon until the glass is about ¾ full.
- Repeat this process with the second glass and garnish both with fresh pineapple wedges, cherries, and drink umbrellas if desired.
Can I double this recipe to serve more guests?
Yes, this recipe doubles and triples well. You can use the 2x or 3x buttons in the recipe card for exact measurements if you don’t want to do the math in your head! Go ahead and make a large pitcher of pina colada mix to serve when you need a large batch.
This drink would be great for pool parties or backyard BBQs. It mimics the flavors of a Blue Hawaiian, but visually I think it is so fun! You can see how the Blue Curaçao represents the ocean water while the Pina Colada makes the ocean foam onto the sandy beach.
Can I make a non-alcoholic Blue Ocean drink?
Yes! To make a Blue Ocean mocktail, simply omit the rum. If you need more liquid to thin out the Pina Colada mixture, you can add coconut water or just regular water.
Looking for more cocktail recipes?
Like I said, I only have a handful of drink recipes on the blog, and even fewer are cocktails. But you should definitely try this delicious Frozen Bahama Mama. With a combination of grenadine, orange juice, pineapple juice, dark rum, coconut-flavored rum, lime juice, and ice, it’s the perfect way to cool off!
You might also enjoy this Pineapple Coconut Rum Slush. It is the perfect hot summer day cocktail! Made in minutes with just three ingredients, these easy fruity cocktails will be a big hit at pool parties or any gathering with a tropical vibe.
Other Frozen Drinks you’ll love:
- Pina Colada Milkshakes with vanilla ice cream and crushed pineapple are a cold, refreshing taste of the tropics! Blend up a batch of these to beat the summer heat. You can even add some rum if you want!
- This Double Chocolate Malted Milkshake is the perfect cold treat to satisfy any chocolate craving on a hot summer’s day.
- Frosted Lemonade is a tasty blend of lemonade and creamy ice cream. Part lemonade, part milkshake, it’s sweet, tangy, and creamy all at once! Our version of the delicious Chick-fil-A frosted lemonade tastes just like the original, only with NO added sugar!
~ FOLLOW ME ~
~ FACEBOOK ~ PINTEREST ~
~ INSTAGRAM ~ TWITTER ~
~ YOUTUBE ~
Keep an eye out for more of my easy recipes each week!
Blue Ocean Drink Recipe
- 1 ounce Blue Curaçao
- ⅓ cup coconut cream
- 3 ounces white or dark rum
- ¾ cup pineapple juice
- 1 1/2-2 cups ice
- garnish with pineapple wedges, cherries and drink umbrellas
- Divide Blue Curaçao evenly between two glasses.
- In a blender, combine the coconut cream, rum, pineapple juice and ice and blend until smooth.
- Place a large spoon into the glass to that the tip is just over the Blue Curaçao and the back is up against the glass.
- Gently pour half of the Pina Colada mixture over the spoon until the glass is about 3/4 full.
- Repeat with second glass and garnish both with fresh pineapple wedges, cherries, and drink umbrellas, if desired.
This post was originally published 7/26/2018. It has been updated in format and with pictures on 6/1/23.