Basic Macaroni Salad is made with elbow macaroni, green pepper, onion, celery, mayonnaise, yellow mustard, and white vinegar. This dish has lots of flavor that is sure to be a hit and staple at every summer BBQ!
Welcome to summer!
If there’s just one salad you need to take to all of your summer cookouts, this salad made with elbow macaroni is it!
It’s easy and no BBQ is complete without it, trust me.
SAVE THIS MACARONI SALAD TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
Today I have a Basic Macaroni Salad for you.
I’ve been making this recipe for years.
This is also a recipe I grew up eating because it was mom’s go-to as well.
SIGN UP FOR THE WEEKLY 365 DAYS OF BAKING & MORE
WEEKLY NEWSLETTER BELOW!
Ingredients for this Best Macaroni Salad recipe
- elbow macaroni
- green pepper
- white vinegar
- yellow mustard
- kosher salt
- You can even add some chopped hard boiled eggs if you like!
Steps to Make this Easy Macaroni Salad
- Boil macaroni according to manufacturer’s directions then drain and cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Cover with tin foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
I found this recipe in my New Doubleday Cookbook, p. 635; authors, Jean Anderson and Elaine Hanna; publisher, Doubleday, a division of Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group, Inc., an imprint of Random House, Inc.; ISBN 0-385-19577-X.
Pasta Salad Recipes
Looking for more side salad and pasta recipe ideas? I’ve got them!
- 4-Bean Tuna Pasta Salad
- Ranch BLT Pasta Salad
- Pesto Chicken Pasta Salad
- Couscous Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Easy Three Bean Salad
- Tex-Mex Pasta Salad
- Sausage Veggie Pasta Salad
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 1 green pepper cored, seeded and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 ½ cups chopped celery
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon bottled yellow mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare the elbow macaroni according to manufacturer's directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Put all ingredients into a large mixing bow. Stir well until thoroughly combined.
- Cover the bowl tightly with tin foil or plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
I used to rate everything I make on a scale of 1 -4 with 4 being the best and this Basic Macaroni Salad earned 4 rolling pins!
It’s always a winner whenever I make it and never takes too long to disappear.
I also love taking it to pot lucks as well. Every gathering needs a macaroni salad, right?
This post was originally published 7/2/15. It has been updated with pictures and in format on 7/2/21.
This post contains an affiliate link(s). These are links that can take you to a product (or products) that I recommend. I do receive a portion of the sales or credit for my future purchases from any items purchased through those links. Your purchases encourage my baking, cooking and butter habit, and contribute to the life of this blog. I thank you so very much for your support. Let’s keep having fun in the kitchen!!