The Best Lemon Squares – a slightly nutty crust is the base for these layered lemon bars. A layer of cream cheese blended with confectioners’ sugar and Cool Whip is sandwiched between the crust and a lemon pudding layer and then topped with the remaining Cool Whip. A “Cool” and lemony refreshing treat for those hot summer days ahead.
These lemon bars hold a very special place in my heart.
While going through my mother’s recipe box one day, I found the recipe card for these Lemon Squares from one of my mother’s very good friends, Cherie.
I think I seriously have ADD.
I’m trying to write this post and granted it’s 10:22 at night and I’m REALLY tired, but I keep getting sidetracked and opening other windows on my computer.
We’re all good now. The recipe is uploaded as are the pictures!
- 1/2 cup flour
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 8- ounce container Cool Whip
- 2 3.4 oz. packages instant lemon pudding
- 3 cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse meal.
- Gently mix in nuts.
- Press into an ungreased 9 X 13-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Allow crust to cool completely before proceeding.
- In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar together.
- Fold in half of the Cool Whip.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over the cooled crust.
- In a medium bowl, mix the two packages of pudding with the milk. Let sit as directed and then spread over the cream cheese layer.
- Spread remaining Cool Whip over the pudding layer.
- Refrigerate two hours before serving.
I rate everything I bake on a scale of 1 – 4 with 4 being the best and these Best Lemon Squares earned, what else…
if I’m calling them the best, by George you can bet that they earned 4 rolling pins! They’re rich and you don’t need to eat a big square to enjoy them, but MAN are they GOOD!!
Mr. 365 says there one of the best things I’ve ever made and he is SO not a dessert person. He kept saying, “mmmmmm….wow…hmmmmm….s@#t!” So, I think he liked them. hee hee