This fast and easy Chicken Salad with Greek yogurt, buttermilk, mustard, and a touch of hot sauce will become a summer staple. Enjoy it on picnics, for lunch and even dinner!
It’s one more easy and delicious salad recipe to add to your menu rotation.
If there’s one thing I always remember bringing on picnics, it’s chicken.
When I was little, an order from Kentucky Fried Chicken was our go-to.
I love the mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls and coleslaw the most.
Now, I much prefer to make recipes from scratch, or keep it simple with an assortment of meats, cheeses and crackers when we decide to go eat outdoors.
Simple and easy is the key.
SAVE THIS CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
Adapted from the recipe I found in this cookbook, ‘Everyday Food – Fresh Flavor Fast’; author, Martha Stewart; publisher, Clarkson Pottler/Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc.; ISBN 978-0-307-40510-4.
What ingredients do I need to make this easy chicken salad recipe?
- cooked chicken, of course!
A rotisserie or leftover chicken works very well. You’ll need 4 cups.
- plain Greek yogurt
we use this in place of the mayonnaise and I love the flavor.
while there are ways to make buttermilk or soured milk, I highly encourage you to use authentic buttermilk for the consistency. Using vinegar in regular milk will alter the taste, but it will be too liquidy.
- whole grain mustard
- lemon juice
- Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce
Add as little or as much as you want
- red onion
- fresh parsley
SIGN UP FOR THE WEEKLY
365 DAYS OF BAKING & MORE
365 DAYS OF BAKING AND MORE FACEBOOK GROUP
TO RECEIVE ADVANCE NOTICE OF MY LIVE FB VIDEOS,
SHARE RECIPES AND MORE!
Tips and Tricks to make your Chicken Salad top notch!
- If you want, you can add other bits of goodness to it, too! You can add
- halved grapes
- walnuts, or
- pecans are delicious as well
- Making chicken salad sandwiches with it?
- Use hot dog rolls
- Hawaiian sweet rolls – my favorite
- If you’re watching your carb intake,
- serve it on some salad greens
- in an avocado shell if adding avocado to it
- in a hollowed out tomato
This easy Chicken Salad with Greek yogurt, buttermilk, mustard, and a touch of hot sauce will become a summer staple. Enjoy it on picnics, lunch or dinner!
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1/3 tablespoon, plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce adjust according to your taste, if desired
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 large celery stalks finely chopped
- 1/3 of a large red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves coarsely chopped
In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt, buttermilk, whole grain mustard, lemon juice and hot-pepper sauce.
Stir in chicken, celery, onion, and parsley.
Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Serve on rolls or with salad greens.
Chicken salad will last for up to 3 days stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
There are so many ways to enjoy chicken, and for all you sports lovers, here’s a great chicken taco dip.
For another great dinner recipe, why not go a little out of the box and put something on top of your chicken. Like this artichoke tomato chicken.
Out of all my chicken recipes, this one is my family’s favorite! You can’t go wrong with chicken picatta.
We really loved this salad and I will definitely be making it again.
It really was quite easy to make and pretty delicious. I am definitely putting this on our menu quite often this summer! I rate everything I make on a scale of 1-4 and this Chicken Salad earned 4 rolling pins.