2 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 envelope) active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ounces unsalted butter
1/3 cup whole milk
1/4 cup water
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 jar nutella
2 ounces unsalted butter, melted until browned
1. Prepare Dough: In a small saucepan, melt butter together with milk. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and water. Set aside. Let mixture cool till about 115 – 125 F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Mix well.
3. In a small bowl, whisk eggs.
4. Using an electric or hand mixer, add milk mixture to the dry ingredients (from step 2). Mix well. Then add eggs. Keep mixing till the batter is well incorporated. Then add the remaining 3/4 cups of flour. Mix till you see a dough form. It will be sticky.
5. Grease a large bowl with butter. Place dough in it. Cover and place in a warm place to allow it to rest until the dough doubled in size (about 1 hour).
6. While the dough is resting, melt 2 oz of butter till browned. Set aside. Grease and flour a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
7. Deflate risen dough and knead about 2 tablespoons of flour into the dough. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest for 5 more minutes.
8. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough with a rolling pin. Roll out dough as thin as possible and to a size of about 12 inches tall and 21 inches long.
9. Using a pastry brush, spread melted butter across all of the dough.
10. Then spread as much nutella as you can on top of the dough. The more the merrier!
11. Slice the dough vertically, into 7 equal strips, about 3 inches wide per strip.
12. Stack the strips on top of each other.
13. Then slice the stacks into 6 equal slices. You will have 6 stacks of 7 squares.
14. Place each stack in the loaf pan. Place a kitchen towel over the loaf pan and allow it to rest in a warm place for 30-45 minutes. The dough will expand during this time.
15. Place a rake in the center of the oven. Preheat to 350 F. Place loaf pan in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown. (It should be golden brown at the top to ensure the center is cooked and not soggy.)
16. Remove from oven. Let rest for about 20 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the bread and invert into a clean plate. Serve warm (especially good with ice cream!).