Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs – meatballs made with onion and garlic, breadcrumbs, Parmesan and Romano cheeses, basil, oregano, onion and filled with a cube of mozzarella cheese to give your family or guests a tasty surprise as they cut into it.
Happy first day of Spring!
But to be completely and totally honest, it certainly doesn’t feel like Spring here in northern New Hampshire.
It snowed today.
And was snowing SO very hard when I left for work that traffic was slowed and the roads were bad which for up here is odd because those state workers are usually so quick to clear those roads.
Not today. They must have been enjoying an extra cup of coffee to celebrate this festive day.
I really can’t complain though – temperatures here today were in the mid to high thirties and I’ll take that along with snow flurries any day over single digit and negative temperatures.
Ok, maybe not any day.
SAVE THESE STUFFED MEATBALLS TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
I made you some Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs today. While I was at work, I was trying to figure out what to make today. Some days I have it planned in advance as to what I’m going to be baking for the day. Other days, not so much.
It largely depends on what lil ol’ me is in the mood for. Like tomorrow…I’m thinking I’m going to want something chocolate.
JOIN THE 365 DAYS OF BAKING AND MORE FACEBOOK GROUP TO RECEIVE ADVANCE NOTICE OF MY LIVE FB VIDEOS, SHARE RECIPES AND MORE!
I adapted these meatballs from Giada’s recipe here.
- 1 lb. ground beef mine came in a 1.15 lb. package
- 1 egg beaten
- 2/3 cup Parmesan / Romano Cheese
- 1/3 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cut into 24 1/2-inch cubes I purchased the 8 ounce ball of BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella. I cut that in half - used half for the meatballs and served the rest at dinner
- Place a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a rimmed baking sheet by lining it with a piece of parchment.
- In a large bowl, place the ground beef, beaten egg, Parmesan / Romano cheese, bread crumbs, chopped onion, minced garlic, ketchup, parsley, basil, and oregano.
- Mix all ingredients together well with your hands.
- Taking pieces of meat, form them into balls about 1 1/2-inches in diameter making approximately a total of 24.
- With a finger, make a hole in the center of each meatball.
- Place one 1/2-inch cube of mozzarella into the hole of each ball, close the meat up around it and roll to form a complete meatball. The mozzarella should be completely covered.
- Place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite pasta and sauce.
I rate everything I bake on a scale of 1-4 with 4 being the best and these Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs earned 3 1/2 rolling pins. The only thing I’d change next time is the ketchup. I’d omit it.
I just wasn’t nuts about the flavor of it in the meatball, but no one else had a problem with it.
The family really enjoyed them and they were a great change from our usual meatball.
Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve even made any meatballs since we moved here last August.
It’s nice, too that it made a couple dozen because now we have extra for a later dinner or for lunch tomorrow.
These will be great for meatball subs, too!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll LOVE…