Game Day Jelly Shots – cubes of flavored gelatin in your favorite team colors, spiked with flavored vodka for extra fun!
As if you didn’t already know, something special is happening this Sunday.
I’m sure I’ve already talked about it ad nauseam because our beloved Patriots are playing, but you can never have enough food or goodies for the party, so here I am again!
And of course, I have a food blog, and that’s what I do!
I made these Deflated Footballs out of chocolate that would look cute on cupcakes or even eaten alone, and now I’ve made these team-colored jelly (jello) shots to add to the festivities.
They’re pretty potent, so be careful in your consumption and by all means, do NOT leave them within reach of the youngin’s who will be in attendance. They’ll be knocked on their keisters!
If you want to make them without the alcohol, then, by all means, do that. All you need to do is substitute the vodka with water. No biggie.
Recipe adapted from Jelly Shot Test Kitchen.
Game Day Jelly Shots
Blue Gelatin Layers
- 2 2.79- ounce packages Jolly Rancher Blue Raspberry Gelatin
- 4 packages unflavored Knox gelatin
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups UV Blue Raspberry Flavored Vodka
Red Gelatin Layers
- 1 2.79- ounce package Jolly Rancher Cherry Gelatin
- 2 packages unflavored Knox gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cherry flavored vodka
Green Gelatin Layers
- 1 2.79- ounce package Jolly Rancher Green Apple Gelatin
- 2 packages unflavored Knox gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup green apple flavored vodka
White Gelatin Layers
- 1 14- ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 packets unflavored Knox gelatin
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
Directions for Blue Gelatin
- Pour the two cups of water into a medium saucepan and sprinkle the 4 packets of Knox gelatin onto the water. Allow to sit for 1 - 2 minutes. Heat on low while stirring constantly until gelatin dissolves. This should take about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the 2 packages of Blue Raspberry Gelatin and stir until dissolved. Stir in the vodka.
White Gelatin Layer
- While the blue gelatin sets in the fridge, mix 1 cup of boiling water with the sweetened condensed milk in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, place 1/2 cup cold water and sprinkle 2 packets of the unflavored gelatin over the top. Let it stand for 2-3 minutes, until the gelatin looks grainy. Add 1/2 cup boiling water to the bowl and stir until gelatin dissolves completely.
- Add this mixture to the condensed milk mixture and stir to combine. Set aside and let the contents come to room temperature.
Direction for Red Gelatin
- Pour the one cup of water into a small saucepan and sprinkle the 2 packets of Knox gelatin onto the water. Allow to sit for 1 - 2 minutes. Heat on low while stirring constantly until gelatin dissolves. This should take about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the 1 package of Cherry Gelatin and stir until dissolved. Stir in the cherry vodka.
Direction for Green Gelatin
- Pour the one cup of water into another small saucepan and sprinkle the 2 packets of Knox gelatin onto the water. Allow to sit for 1 - 2 minutes. Heat on low while stirring constantly until gelatin dissolves. This should take about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the 1 package of Green Apple Gelatin and stir until dissolved. Stir in the green apple flavored vodka.
Assembly of the Game Day Jelly Shots
- Spray both of the 8 X 8-inch pans with cooking spray and wipe out the excess with a paper towel.
- Pour one cup of the blue gelatin into the bottom of each pan. Place in refrigerator for 15 minutes to set. While the blue gelatin sets in each pan, mix up the white gelatin.
- Gently pour 1/2 cup of the white gelatin into each pan. Place in refrigerator to set for 15 minutes. While white gelatin layers are setting, separately mix up the red and green gelatins.
- In the Patriot's pan, gently pour 1 cup of the red gelatin and return to the refrigerator to set for 15 minutes.
- In the Seahawk's pan, gently pour 1 cup of the green gelatin. Place in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the white gelatin into each pan and return to set in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of blue gelatin into each pan and return to the fridge for another 15 minutes.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the white gelatin into each of the pans and place for 15 minutes into the refrigerator.
- Finally, pour the remaining cup of red gelatin into the Patriot's pan and green gelatin into the Seahawk's and place again in the refrigerator to set for 15 minutes.
It is important that all gelatin is at room temperature when adding layers to the pan so that it doesn't melt the layer below it.
It also may be necessary to spread each layer of gelatin with an offset spatula as the pans become colder towards the end of assembly.
The cherry gelatin can be substituted with watermelon, just be sure to replace the vodka with the appropriate flavor as well.
To remove from the pans, sit in warm water for a minute or two. Cut into squares and remove with an offset spatula. Place the shots on a refrigerated plate and keep in refrigerator until serving. These are best passed around as opposed to being set out on a table.
So, the photo shoot is suddenly over when I accidentally spill the vodka shot into the plate. Oh well. Time to clean up my mess.
I tell ya, these things are pretty strong, but they sure are fun!
I rate everything I make on a scale of 1 – 4 with 4 being the best and these Game Day Jelly Shots earned 3 rolling pins.
Unfortunately, the Patriots cherry shot wasn’t up to par with the rest. It tasted like cough syrup and I was disgusted. I highly suggest using the watermelon.
I think that would be a great flavor. It may not be as dark as the cherry gelatin, but it would probably taste better.
Who knows, maybe you like cough syrup and they’ll be fine for you and your guests. If you want the colors to be a bit more prominent as well, feel free to add one to two drops of food coloring to each of them.
Have fun this Sunday, but be sure to consume these Game Day Jelly Shots and all alcohol responsibly! And most importantly, PLEASE DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!!!
Enjoy the game!!
And,…go PATS!!! 😉
If you like these Game Day Jelly Shots or want some more jelly fun without the alcohol, then you’re sure to love these…