Halloween Ghost Meringues – a dairy-free, gluten-free, easy and adorable Halloween treat that your little goblins will love.
*this post was originally published Oct. 10, 2011, but has been updated in format and pictures.
Day 249 – Halloween Meringues
- 4 large egg whites room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch of cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoons mini semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 2 packages Wilton Candy Eyeballs
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees F., and prepare a cookie sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a heat proof mixing bowl, combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar.
- Place bowl over saucepan and whisk constantly until all sugar is dissolved and egg whites are warm. This will take approximately 3-4 minutes and can be tested by rubbing the solution between your clean fingers. It should feel smooth to the touch.
- With the wire whisk attached to the mixer, place bowl in mixer and beat on low speed, gradually increasing to high. Beat until whites form stiff and glossy peaks about 7 - 10 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a Wilton #12 decorating tip with the meringue.
- On your prepared cookie sheet, form a circle by moving the piping bag in a clockwise motion and pull up on the bag, forming a peak at the end.
- Use the candy or mini chocolate morsels for the eyes.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Turn oven off and allow meringues to remain in oven for another 4 hours before serving.
- Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Don’t worry, “patience comes to those who wait”, right?