This Chicken, Black Bean and Tortilla Pie is an easy weeknight dinner that will be ready in UNDER an hour! No need to fret about what to make for dinner, this easy recipe is sure to make regular appearances on your menu.
SAVE THIS CHICKEN, BLACK BEAN AND TORTILLA PIE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
This is similar to the Chicken Tortilla Bake I made back on Day 139 of the 365 Days of Baking and that one was pretty good. This one today has a few different ingredients and earned a higher rating from the family. It’s also interesting to see how much prettier today’s pictures are, no to mention the food. LOL!
This is adapted from Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food – Great Food Fast, p. 236; author, Martha Stewart; publisher, Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc.; ISBN 978-0-307-35416-7.
SIGN UP FOR THE WEEKLY
365 DAYS OF BAKING & MORE
365 DAYS OF BAKING AND MORE
FACEBOOK GROUP TO RECEIVE ADVANCE NOTICE OF MY
LIVE FB VIDEOS,
SHARE RECIPES AND MORE!
Chicken, Black bean and Tortilla Pie
- 4 tortillas (10-inch)
- 1 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans, dried and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 10 oz. package frozen corn
- 1-1 ½ cups shredded, cooked, seasoned chicken breast
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, and heat the canola oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno, and cumin. Add salt and pepper to season.
- Cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add beans and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the water has practically evaporated about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the corn, chicken, and tomatoes and scallions. Mix to combine and remove from heat. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- With a paring knife, trim tortillas to fit a 9-inch springform pan using the bottom of the pan as a guide.
- Put springform pan back together and spray with cooking spray. Place one tortilla in the bottom of the pan.
- Spread 1/4 of the bean mixture and cover with 3/4 cup of shredded cheese. Repeat process three times.
- Cover the top layer of beans with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until warm throughout and cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with scallions and remove from pan, leaving the bottom intact. Cut into wedges and serve.
I rate everything I make on a scale of 1-4 and this Chicken, Black Bean, and Tortilla Pie earned a unanimous 4 rolling pins from the family. I have to admit I was surprised by their reaction. I hadn’t started eating yet and already they were chiming in with their votes. Either they REALLY liked it or they were famished! LOL! No, I agree with them. It was just that good.